Add more joy to your Yoga!
The whole purpose of yoga is to create “Union”, oneness with all. In this union we often find that our oneness is full of joy, bliss and love.
Is your yoga full of joy bliss and love?
If not, why not?
Sure, at the end of the yoga class you are almost certainly experiencing some aspect of oneness. Sometimes it may be that “out of it” feeling, other times intense peace, other times a feeling of dissolving into everything. There is a myriad of experiences available at the end of the practice.
But how about during the practice? Is your mind chattering about the pain, the to do list, desire to be even better? Are you caught in comparison with the next student who is doing yoga better than you?
Here are 2 techniques that bring “Union” into your yoga practice earlier than waiting for the Shivasana posture that heralds the end of the class.
- Keep bringing your focus back to the breath.
As you move your body into, through, and out of the poses, constantly bring your focus to the breath. This gives the mind something organic to place its attention on. The breath is changing constantly, a challenge that aids the mind in staying focused and out of boredom.
- Create Bliss in your Muscle Memory
Muscle memory is a fact! If you burn your a finger, that finger will remember the experience and protect itself by from heat in the future.
If you are thinking constantly about a stressful situation at work while doing yoga, this will get imprinted into your muscle memory and you will move away from yoga, like your finger moves away from heat.
You can use muscle memory to your advantage. This technique was taught to me by the famous Indian yogi, Paramahamsa Nithyananda. He recommends that we consciously plan on breathing in bliss and breathing out bliss with every movement and yoga pose. He emphasizes that bliss is our very essence. By moving our body while invoking the experience of bliss, this becomes embedded into our muscle memory and the ultimate goal of yoga is achieved in each moment. Here is an example of how to do this:
- Breathe in bliss. As you breathe in, bring the awareness to the breath and breathe in bliss. Feel the bliss flowing through your whole body. Allow your whole body to resonate with that feeling and experience.
- Breathe out Bliss. On the out breath, visualize that you are breathing out bliss. Your breath is nothing but bliss.
- Each breath is bliss. With each breath and each movement, keep the focus totally in the in-and-out breathing of bliss.
- Increase the Bliss. As you develop this feeling in your body, allow it to become stronger and stronger.
- Feel the bliss throughout your body. Now begin to feel that bliss flowing throughout your body.
- Increase that feeling. Your body will now be alive with joy and ecstasy in a very fiery way.
- Take that Bliss into your day. Now remember that feeling consciously at different times during the day.
Enjoy these techniques regularly and feel the union with “oneness” increasing and enveloping you more and more! Let me know what your experience is.