Haritaki has a number of Sexual Health benefits
Firstly it is Rasayana. Rasayana is the Sanscrit word for alchemy. In this case the alchemy is referring to the ability to remain virile throughout your life. Rasayana also refers to the anti aging properties of Haritaki which are remarkably important. This quality of alchemy is quoted in ancient texts as the cause of the immense longevity that is attributed to yogis.
Haritaki is an aphrodisiac
This Rasayana is also an aphrodisiac, a sexual stimulant. Taken in a dose of 1-2 grams per day for a month Haritaki will increase sexual energy according to Dr JV Hebbar in his book Easy Living with Ayurveda
Dr Hebbar also points out that Haritaki has been attributed with two more benefits:
- The effect of reducing premature ejaculation
- Night time emissions of semen.
Side effect of Haritaki and sexuality
- Over the long term and with a higher intake of Haritaki there may be a decrease in sexual power and strength.
- It has been seen that Haritaki can increase erection problems.
- Haritaki can decrease even further low sperm count and
- Can contribute to low sexual mood.
- It will further complicate the sexual issues of those people who are in reduced health because of alcohol use.
From my own perspective, the greatest benefits of Haritaki reside in other areas apart from sexual health
- The massive gains in brain function,
- The extraordinary increases in in spiritual powers,
- The longevity into hundreds of years traditionally attributed to Haritaki
These benefits far outweigh the sexual benefits and also the side effects of Haritaki
If you want to find out more about sexual health and Haritaki then this web site is a great source of information about the topic:
Sexual health is a state of physical, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality. It requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence.
Sexual health is a broad area that encompasses many inter-related challenges and problems. Key among the issues and concerns are human rights related to sexual health, sexual pleasure, eroticism (see below), and sexual satisfaction, diseases (HIV/AIDS, STIs, RTIs), violence, female genital mutilation, sexual dysfunction, and mental health related to sexual health.
From all that I am finding out about Haritaki it appears the ancients knew how to use it very effectively. When in full health is present haritaki increases sexual health to the point of being an aphrodisiac. When health is weakened it is not of help, instead increasing health issues that are unwelcome. My recommendation: Stay healthy and enjoy all the many benefits of haritaki.